The fertilizer production in Malaysia has been on the rise, with an output of around 7.58 million MT in 2022, compared to 5.84 million MT in 2021.
What about Malaysia fertilizer export & import? Did they experience growth or decline?
This article explains all!
Malaysia Fertilizer Production Overview
1. Is Malaysia Fertilizer Production Experiencing Growth?
Over the years, Malaysia’s fertilizer industry has been experiencing growth and expansion, as evidenced by the increasing production of fertilizer in the country.
In 2022, the estimated production of fertilizer reached a new high of 7.58 million metric tons, a significant increase from the 5.84 million metric tons produced in the previous year (Statista).
This upward trend in production suggests a positive trajectory for the fertilizer sector in Malaysia, and it may be indicative of a thriving agricultural industry in the country.
With the demand for food increasing globally, the growth of the fertilizer industry in Malaysia is likely to play a critical role in supporting sustainable agriculture and food security efforts in the region.
2. Malaysia Fertilizer Production Growth Year by Year – from 2013 to 2022
As you can see below, Malaysia fertilizer production increased 189.3% in 9 years- from 2013 to 2022!
In 2013, Malaysia produced 2.62 million MT of fertilizers, which increased to 7.58 million MT in 2022.
Checking the year-to-year growth of fertilizer production in Malaysia, the highest growth was related to 2021-2022. In 2021, Malaysia manufactured 5.84 million MT of fertilizers that jumped to 7.58 million MT in 2022 – 29.7% increase!
Fertilizer Production in Malaysia from 2013 to 2022 (in million metric tons)
Malaysia Fertilizer Export Overview
1. What Is the Rank of Malaysia in Fertilizer Export in 2021?
In 2021, Malaysia ranked as the 21st largest exporter of fertilizers in the world, with a total export value of $1.02B.
2. What Is the Rank of Fertilizer Among the Exported Products of Malaysia in 2021?
Fertilizers were the 28th most exported product in Malaysia during 2021.
Integrated circuits, refined petroleum, palm oil, rubber apparel, and petroleum Gas were the most important exports of Malaysia in 2021.
According to data from 2021, Malaysia ranked as the 37th largest economy in the world based on its GDP (current US$).
The country was the 21st largest exporter and the 25th largest importer globally. In terms of GDP per capita (current US$), Malaysia ranked as the 63rd economy in the world.
The country was also the 24th most complex economy in the world based on the Economic Complexity Index (ECI).
3. What Are the First Destinations of Malaysia Fertilizers in 2021?
The primary destinations for Malaysia’s fertilizer exports in 2021 were:
- Thailand, with $195M worth of imports
- Australia with $166M worth of imports
- The Philippines with $127M worth of imports
- New Zealand with $124M worth of imports
- Japan with $87.1M worth of imports
4. What Was the Fastest Growing Export Market for Malaysia’s Fertilizers?
Among the fastest growing export markets for Malaysia’s fertilizers between 2020 and 2021, New Zealand saw the highest growth, with an increase of $80.7M.
Thailand and Australia also experienced significant growth in Malaysia’s fertilizer exports, with increases of $71.3M and $54.1M, respectively.
5. Malaysia Fertilizer Export by Product Type in 2021
In the table below, you can see the worth of various types of fertilizers exported by Malaysia and the ranking of Malaysia in fertilizer export in the world based on the types of fertilizers.
Malaysia Fertilizer Export by Product Type in 2021
|Fertilizer Type||Worth||Global Ranking|
|Potassic fertilizers||USD 21.6 million||26th|
|Phosphatic Fertilizers||USD 995 K||42nd|
|Nitrogenous Fertilizers||USD 914 million||10th|
Malaysia Fertilizer Import Overview
1. What Is the Rank of Malaysia in Fertilizer Import?
In 2021, Malaysia was the 22nd largest importer of fertilizers in the world, with a total import value of $1.18B.
2. What Is the Rank of Fertilizer Among the Imported Products of Malaysia in 2021?
Fertilizers were the 30th most imported product in Malaysia during 2021.
The top imports of Malaysia were circuits, defined petroleum, crude petroleum, coal briquettes, and gold.
3. What Are the First Sources of Imported Fertilizers to Malaysia?
Malaysia’s primary sources of imported fertilizers in 2021 were:
- China, with imports worth $267M
- Canada with imports worth $207M
- Russia with imports worth $147M
- Lithuania with imports worth $73.2M
- Jordan with imports worth $56.2M
4. What Was the Fastest Growing Import Market for Malaysia’s Fertilizers?
Between 2020 and 2021, China, Russia, and Canada were the fastest growing markets for Malaysia’s fertilizer imports, with increases of $156M, $121M, and $80.3M, respectively.
5. Malaysia Fertilizer Import by Product Type in 2021
In the table below, you can see the worth of various types of fertilizers imported by Malaysia in 2021 and the ranking of Malaysia in fertilizer import in the world based on the types of fertilizers.
Malaysia Fertilizer Import by Product Type in 2021
|Fertilizer Type||Worth||Global Ranking|
|Potassic fertilizers||USD 566 million||6th|
|Phosphatic Fertilizers||USD 38.1 million||14th|
|Nitrogenous Fertilizers||USD 336 million||27th|